Thursday, 06 February 2020
09:00AM - 06:00 PM
Six Battery Road | Singapore 049909
The media landscape is continually changing. Latest news and developments around the world can be easily accessed through digital media sources, such as Google, Twitter, Facebook, major newspapers, and local media websites.
These days, social media has enabled the tremendous increase of negative and fabricated stories, disinformation, and hoaxes popularly referred to as ‘fake news’. These can damage reputations and escalate to a full-blown crisis.
In Singapore, fake news has been an ongoing phenomenon. As a result, a new law called “The Protection from Online Falsehoods and Manipulation Act (POFMA)” was implemented in October this year to curb the spread of fake news and protect the public against fake news and misinformation that could cause social harm.
Effective crisis planning and communications has a definable financial value. Research shows that companies that fail to mount an adequate response lose, on average, 20% of their stock value in the following months. Companies that respond well, regardless of the cause of the crisis, actually gain an average 5% in value. Crisis planning and training must be regarded as a financial investment.
RHT Academy’s Fake News and Disinformation Masterclass, happening on 6th of February, will explore how communication professionals should operate when crisis hits. From the principles of establishing what has happened, communicating timely, and devising crisis leadership and strategies to managing the traditional and social media.
The program will challenge you to return with renewed fervour about the importance of crisis planning to mitigate risk and defend trust in your brand when it is at its most vulnerable.
By attending this masterclass, you will:
• Understand what the new fake news law is (POFMA) and what it covers
• Learn how to develop an effective crisis management action plan
• Know how to build your crisis communication team that will defend your reputation during a time of public sensitivity
• Learn when and how to respond appropriately in an emergency
• Mitigate further damage in a crisis through a proper narrative
• Communicate core messages in crisis communications
• Develop appropriate media relations strategies in an aggressive environment
• Leverage social media for effective crisis management and damage control